New Horizons 2019
Travel Pre-approval Report FAQs
- Pre-approval is required for all overnight travel.
- Include all anticipated expense types regardless if paid by Company or Traveler. (e.g. hotel, meals, parking, transportation, etc.)
- Lodging and Meals per Diem rates are determined by hotel’s physical location, not the mailing address. (Note: The seven hotels provided below are physically located in Roanoke City, VA.)
- Attach applicable supporting documentation as directed by your agency (e.g. cost comparisons, quotes, event information, etc.)
- Be as detailed as possible within the Pre-approval Report. (i.e. include detailed comments and information about the travel event.)
What are my lodging options and the corresponding negotiated conference rates?
|Hotel Name||Conference Rate||Distance from Conference Hotel|
Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center
110 Shenandoah Ave NW, Roanoke, VA 24016
|$129.00*, plus lodging tax||Conference Hotel|
Hampton Inn & Suites Roanoke Downtown
27 Church Ave SE, Roanoke, VA 24011
|$115.00*, plus lodging tax||0.3 miles|
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Roanoke
301 Reserve Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24016
|$115.00*, plus lodging tax||1.9 miles|
Holiday Inn Valley View
3315 Ordway Drive, NW, Roanoke, Virginia 24017
|$111.00, plus lodging tax||4.6 miles|
Hampton Inn & Suites Roanoke Airport
5033 Valley View Blvd NW, Roanoke, VA 24012
|$107.00, plus lodging tax||4.2 miles|
Hyatt Place Roanoke Airport/Valley View Mall
5040 Valley View Blvd NW, Roanoke, VA 24012
|$107.00, plus lodging tax||4.3 miles|
Courtyard by Marriott Roanoke Airport
3301 Ordway Dr NW, Roanoke, VA 24017
|$107.00, plus lodging tax||4.6 miles|
Residence Inn by Marriott Roanoke Airport
3305 Ordway Dr NW, Roanoke, VA 24017
|$107.00, plus lodging tax||4.6 mile|
*Negotiated rates exceeding the 100% GSA Rate for Roanoke City, VA ($111.00).
Do I need to include all hotel expenses on my Pre-approval Report if VCCS and/or my agency will be covering one or more nights of lodging?
- Yes, all hotel expenses must be included in the Pre-approval Report regardless if covered by VCCS, agency, or travelers’ personal funds.
What “Paid By” option do I select for my hotel expenses?
- “Company Paid”: All hotel expenses will be entirely covered by VCCS and/or agency small purchase card. Traveler will NOT incur any hotel expenses with personal funds.
- “Traveler”: All hotel expenses will be entirely paid out of travelers’ personal funds.
- If hotel expenses will be partially covered by VCCS or agency small purchase card, and travelers’ personal funds, enter detailed comments in description field and select either “Company Paid” or “Traveler”. (e.g. “VCCS will cover 1st night of lodging, I will pay for 2nd night of lodging with my personal credit card.”)
What do I enter in the higher lodging compliance warning (#601) response box?
- If staying at a designated conference hotel at the corresponding negotiated conference rate, enter “VCCS negotiated conference rate with master pre-approval on file with SSC.”
- Example: Jane Doe is staying at the Hotel Roanoke and the estimated daily room rate is $129.00 per night, Jane Doe will enter “VCCS negotiated conference rate with master pre-approval on file with SSC.” in the response box.
- If the estimated daily room rate exceeds the corresponding negotiated conference rate or 100% GSA Rate, enter an explanation and then attach cost comparisons for higher lodging request as required by your agency.
- Example: Jane Doe is staying at the Hotel Roanoke and the estimated daily room rate is $145.00 per night, Jane Doe will need to provide an explanation in the response box and attach cost comparisons as required by the agency.
What do I enter in the excess lodging compliance warning (#602) response box?
- If the anticipated a daily room rate exceeds the 150% GSA rate, enter an explanation and then attach cost comparisons for excess lodging request as required by your agency.
NOTE: Excess lodging rates require Department of Accounts pre-approval when allocated to State funds.
What if I am sharing a room with another employee?
- Enter the name(s) of individual(s) which room will be shared with in the description field.
- Employees sharing a room should enter all nights of lodging expenses regardless if covered by VCCS, agency, or travelers’ personal funds within their individual Pre-approval Reports.
Room Sharing Example 1: Jane Doe and Jessica Smith share a room for two (2) nights. Both employees enter two nights of lodging. Enter description such as, “Room sharing with Jane Doe for two nights. Both nights of lodging covered by VCCS.”
Room Sharing Example 2: Jane Doe and Jessica Smith share a room for three (3) nights. Both employees enter three nights of lodging. Enter description such as, “Room sharing with Jane Doe for three nights. First two nights of lodging covered by VCCS and third night of lodging paid with Jane Doe’s personal credit card.”
What if I am staying with family/friends rather than a hotel?
- Enter a comment in the Pre-approval Report stating you are staying with family or a friend.
Meals per Diem Expense FAQs
What meals are provided by the conference?
|Conference Date||Meal Type(s)|
|4/11/2019||Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner|
What location do I enter in the Meals per Diem expense line items?
- If staying in any of the seven hotels listed on this document, enter Roanoke City, VA.
What if I am not staying overnight for this event, should I include Meals per Diem in my Pre-approval Report?
- No, do not include Meals per Diem expenses. Meals per Diem is only reimbursable for overnight travel.
SSC Help Center: 877-340-5577, 540-591-4000 or email@example.com
- One-on-one assistance available
- Screen-sharing capabilities
- Hours of Operations: 8:00AM – 5:30PM, Monday – Friday (excluding holidays)
SSC T&E Public Site: Instructional materials, training information, policies, and FAQs
DISCLAIMER: Training material, information, and policies provided by the SSC are meant for all users across the entire VCCS. This content is not intended to address every scenario or institution-specific policies and procedures. If you have institution-specific questions or concerns, please refer to your institution approvers or business office personnel.
The VCCS Office of Professional Development (OPD) will cover one (1) night’s lodging and tax at the conference rate for every VCCS employee whose campus is 50 or more miles from the conference site, full-time and adjunct alike. Employees who share a room are entitled to two (2) nights’ coverage (one night per employee). The name of the roommate must be listed with the hotel. Employees who book as a single are responsible for the second night’s accommodations themselves. Employees must book their reservations as instructed below using the hotel specific VCCS room block to receive the above coverage. Reservations made through 3rd party sites (e.g. Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Trivago, etc.) will not be covered at all by the VCCS OPD. Parking costs and incidentals are not covered by the VCCS OPD.
It is the responsibility of each attendee to make their own hotel arrangements and follow hotel policies for adjustments, cancellations and no-shows.